Friday, July 6, 2012

Ideas for A3/A4

Hello everyone!! I am currently brainstorming on what to do for my final paper in writing 340.  I am a Communication major and Journalism minor so I was thinking about studying gender relationships in the television industry.  I plan to use my research from my Communication 203: Communication and Mass Media course with Stacy Smith as well as the fields of gender studies and psychology to further analyze the gender stigmas in the television industry. My essay will combine research with my own personal insight to determine how men and women are being portrayed in television, which gender is more "equal" in terms of portrayal and also how stereotypes are either reinforced or rejected through gender roles.  I will look at what kinds of people are being cast in television roles and what these actors and actresses have in common    I know that sexualization is extremely prominent in the television industry and that outer beauty often defines a cast, especially for women, but I would also like to analyze what kinds of roles men are playing and whether or not these roles have changed over time or remained static.  I'm hoping to find some research on the psychology of gender roles and what characteristics are deemed 'desirable' in the television world.

2 comments:

  1. As a fellow Journalism (major) student, I am really looking forward to hearing about your research between the fields. This topic is fascinating to me, as I have noticed both male-dominated and female-dominated environments through my various internships.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I was researching my topic, I came across a journal titled, "Broadcast and Cable News Network Differences in the Way Reporters Used Women and Minority Group Sources to Cover the 2004 Presidential Race" that you may be interested in. It goes into specific analysis and conclusion about the differences between genders in the newsroom. I just wanted to share it with you. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete